Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Staff Reporter
The Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) conducted a raid at the Chattogram Regional Election Commission office on Tuesday amid allegations of irregularities in the correction of National Identity Cards (NIDs). A four-member ACC team, led by Assistant Director Emran Hossain from the ACC’s Chattogram Metro office, carried out the operation around noon. During the raid, ACC officials spoke with senior officers from both the regional and district election offices and examined various alleged irregularities. According to sources, the ACC has been investigating four unresolved NID correction cases that had remained pending for an extended period. During their inquiry, the team…
Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus today asked Special Security Force (SSF) to work with professionalism staying above political ideologies. “In providing security to state-declared VIPs, the issues of characteristic strength, improved discipline, honesty, responsibility and human values must be seriously considered along with professional skills, and you should work with professionalism above all political ideologies,” he told SSF personnel at a function here. The event was arranged at the Chief Adviser’s Office (CAO) on the occasion of the SSF’s 39th founding anniversary as SSF Director General Major General Mahbubus Samad Chowdhury spoke, among others. Home Adviser Lieutenant…
Ten films were initially scheduled to be released in cinemas during Eid-ul-Azha. However, four of them—”Nadan”, “Sardar Barir Khela”, “Shironaam”, and “Pinik”—withdrew from the lineup at the last moment. Now, the majority of these films are preparing to make their theatrical debut during Durga Puja this September. Director Farhad Hossain had announced an Eid release for “Nadan” on May 13 with the launch of its first-look poster. However, just a week before Eid, the filmmaker revealed that technical complications had forced a delay. “Although we had initially planned for Eid, some technical issues held us back,” he told The…
The National Sports Council (NSC) has dissolved three sports associations: the Kite Association, the Para Archery Association, and the Kyokushin Karate Association. This decision, enacted under the authority of the National Sports Council Act 2018, reduces the number of federations and associations under the NSC from 55 to 52. The dissolved bodies have not been entirely abandoned; rather, their functions and responsibilities have been merged with existing federations. The Para Archery Association has been integrated into the Bangladesh Archery Federation, the Kyokushin Karate Association into the Bangladesh Karate Federation, and the Kite Association into the Bangladesh Country Games Association.…
The government will not immediately increase fuel prices, even if oil prices rise in the international market due to the Israel-Iran conflict, said Finance Adviser Salehuddin Ahmed today. “We bought at the previous price, so there will be no impact on fuel prices,” he told reporters when asked whether the Iran-Israel conflict could drive up fuel prices in Bangladesh. He said the government is observing the situation. “Although global prices have risen slightly, our current orders remain unaffected,” he told journalists following meetings of the Advisory Council Committee on Economic Affairs and the Advisory Council Committee on Government…
At least 244 people were hospitalised with dengue across the country in the last 24 hours, according to the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS). With these new cases, the total number of dengue infections this year has risen to 6,466. A total of 5,618 patients have been released, including 4,432 from outside Dhaka. Currently, 738 dengue patients are undergoing treatment, 549 of whom are from outside Dhaka, added the DGHS. So far, 30 people have died from dengue infection in the country this year.
There are around 400 Bangladeshis currently residing in Tehran who are under a serious threat amid Israeli attacks and they are being relocated to safer places, Acting Foreign Secretary Ruhul Alam Siddique said on Tuesday. Siddique said this while addressing a press conference at his ministry office in Dhaka over the latest situation of Bangladeshis living in Iran amid the deadliest attack by Israel. A total of 100 Bangladeshis out of 400 have already communicated with the Bangladesh High Commission in Tehran and the commission is currently working to relocate them to a safer place, he said. …
More than 600 foreign nationals have crossed from Iran into neighbouring Azerbaijan since Israel began striking the country last Friday, a government official in Baku said. “Since the start of the military escalation between Israel and Iran, more than 600 citizens of 17 countries have been evacuated from Iran via Azerbaijan,” the government source told AFP on Tuesday. The evacuees, who crossed the border via the Astara checkpoint on the Caspian Sea coast, are being transported to Baku airport and “flown to their home countries on international flights,” the source said. Among those evacuated are citizens of…
Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus thanked Australia for resuming visa processing operations in Dhaka as newly appointed Australian High Commissioner to Bangladesh Susan Ryle called on him at the State Guest House Jamuna here today. “Visa applications can be submitted online” the High Commissioner said, adding that over 65,000 Bangladeshis now live in Australia plus an addition 14,000 students. During the meeting, they discussed ongoing reform efforts of the Interim Government, election preparations, expansion of bilateral trade and the Rohingya crisis. “We are going through a series of important changes following chaotic times,” Prof Yunus said, highlighting…
Chittagong Port Authority (CPA), the country’s premier seaport, has already handled a record 31.72 lakh TEUs (twenty-foot equivalent units) container till June 15 of the fiscal year 2024-25 (FY25), which is 4.63 percent higher than the previous fiscal. The authority handled around 31.69 lakh TEUs in the fiscal year 2023-24, while 30.07 lakh TEUs in the fiscal year 2022-23, said a press release. The port authority expected that Chittagong Port will touch a new milestone in container handling by June 30, 2025. This is a positive indicator that businesses have overcome the challenges faced throughout the year.…
