Author: Sports Desk

Bangladesh won the toss and elected to bat first in the second and final Test against Sri Lanka at the Sinhalese Sports Club (SSC) in Colombo on Wednesday. On a traditionally flat SSC surface expected to offer good batting conditions early on, skipper Najmul Hossain Shanto chose to put runs on the board. Bangladesh made two changes to their playing XI — Jaker Ali and Hasan Mahmud were left out. It was leanred that Hasan was ruled out deu to injury. Ebadat Hossain making a comeback after a two-year gap while Nahid Rana kept his place. Ebadat…

Read More

Amid a sharp rise in COVID-19, dengue and other viral fevers across Bangladesh, Pro-Vice Chancellor (Admin) of Bangladesh Medical University (BMU) Prof Dr Md Abul Kalam Azad on Tuesday warned of growing pressure on the country’s healthcare system and emphasised the urgent need for a scientifically guided well-coordinated response. Speaking at a Continuing Medical Education (CME) seminar hosted by BMU, Prof Azad said, “We are entering a critical period. COVID-19 and dengue cases are surging simultaneously, and if we fail to act now—guided by medical evidence—we risk overwhelming our hospitals and frontline services.” He called for heightened surveillance…

Read More

Bangladesh are boosted by the return of star all-rounder Mehidy Hasan Miraz for the second Test against Sri Lanka, but it also provides a selection dilemma for the team management. The 26-year-old, who missed the first Test due to illness, is ranked number two among Test all-rounders. Off-spinner Nayeem Hasan, who replaced him in the first Test in Galle that ended in a draw on Saturday, finished with a six-wicket match haul including a five-for in the first innings. Head coach Phil Simmons admitted the team now face a “good headache” in balancing the playing eleven. …

Read More

The “July Fighters” of the student-people uprising will get allowance from next month, said Liberation War Affairs Adviser Faruk-e-Azam. “In addition to the monthly allowance, the wounded fighters in the July uprising will receive free treatment in government hospitals throughout their lives,” he said in an exclusive interview with the state-run news agency Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha (BSS) at the Secretariat on Monday. Faruk-e-Azam said it took 54 years to prepare a list of the genuine freedom fighters of the 1971 Liberation War. “But, we (the current interim government) prepared the final list of the July uprising’s martyred…

Read More

Iran said on Tuesday that at least 610 civilians had been killed and more than 4,700 wounded in the Islamic republic since the start of the war with Israel on June 13. “They are all civilians,” health ministry spokesman Hossein Kermanpour said, announcing the increase from the previously reported toll of more than 400 dead and 3,056 wounded. “Over the past 12 days, hospitals… have been confronted with extremely harrowing scenes,” he wrote on social media platform X. Those killed in the Israeli strikes included 13 children, the youngest of whom was two months old, the ministry…

Read More

The government has chalked out a 36-day programme to begin on 1 July with intermittent breaks to celebrate the July Mass Uprising in a due manner and with festivities. The press wing of the chief adviser said this in a press statement floated for the media on Tuesday. The entire country witnessed unrest throughout July last year, as students under the banner of ‘Students Against Discrimination’ launched a one-point movement demanding the removal of former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina. At one point, Sheikh Hasina was forced to step down and flee the country on 5 August in…

Read More

Iran and Israel are reported to have agreed to a ceasefire following 12 days of exchanging intense air strikes, including a “last minute” barrage fired by Tehran. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a statement on Tuesday morning that Israel had agreed to the truce proposal announced by United States President Donald Trump overnight. Earlier, Iranian state television reported that the ceasefire had begun. The Israeli statement came not long after Trump had said in a post on social media that the ceasefire was under way. “The ceasefire is now in effect. Please do not violate it!”…

Read More

Most political parties have agreed to a proposal limiting an individual’s tenure as prime minister to a maximum of 10 years in their lifetime, excluding three parties that had alternative views, said Junaid Saki, the chief coordinator of Ganosamhati Andolon. He made the remarks while speaking to journalists on Sunday following the second phase of discussions held between political parties and the National Consensus Commission at the Foreign Service Academy in the capital. Jonaid Saki said, “There has been a discussion on how many terms a person can serve as prime minister. A proposal was placed suggesting that…

Read More

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio urged China Sunday to help deter Iran from shutting down the Strait of Hormuz, a crucial trade route, following American strikes on Iranian nuclear sites. “I encourage the Chinese government in Beijing to call them about that because they heavily depend on the Strait of Hormuz for their oil,” Rubio said on Fox News. Analysts have said Iran may opt to retaliate to Washington’s early Sunday attack by shutting the Strait, a waterway through which one-fifth of global oil output passes. “If they do that, it will be another terrible mistake.…

Read More

A court in Dhaka on Monday placed former chief election commissioner (CEC) KM Nurul Huda on a four-day remand in a case filed over allegedly holding a farcical parliamentary election during his term in office. Dhaka Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Mohammad Mustafizur Rahman passed the order following a 10-day remand petition filed by the police. On Sunday night, law enforcers arrested Nurul Huda from his residence in the capital’s Uttara area, hours after a case was lodged against him, two other former CECs along with deposed fascist prime minister Sheikh Hasina and others. The BNP filed the case…

Read More